DIRECTOR OF WORSHIP TECHNOLOGY: Job Description
Snyder Memorial Baptist Church
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Hearts United in Loving God, Sharing Christ, and Serving Others”
Purpose of the Position:
Snyder Memorial Baptist Church (SMBC) in Fayetteville, North Carolina consists of contemporary and traditional worship services, robust ministries across the generations, a music academy and pre- and after-school programs. SMBC seeks a full-time Director of Worship Technology to provide technical expertise and leadership for all aspects of technology support to the SMBC mission and vision.
The Director of Worship Technology is the key technical subject matter expert to the SMBC Ministerial staff and leadership, and is responsible for providing reliable, consistent, and the highest quality multimedia support as it relates to audio, video, lighting, A/V-related IT, and broadcast for SMBC worship experiences, ministries, events, and presentations.
In addition to technical acumen, the Director of Worship Technology is responsible for setting the spiritual tone for the Worship Technology Ministry. By demonstrating positive, humble, cooperative, and willing attitudes along with a servant’s heart, the DoWT will foster these characteristics in a vibrant and growing team of volunteers who are equipped, trained, and capable of leading worship through their technical gifts. As such, the DoWT should fully staff the needed positions and then be prepared to fill in and troubleshoot where necessary. The Director’s primary focus will be the production of the two weekly worship services and special church events.
- Ensure that every worship service and event at Snyder Memorial is vibrant, distraction-free, and technically well-supported.
- Create and maintain a healthy rotation of Worship Technology volunteers and ensure that volunteers are trained and equipped to provide technical support during services and events.
- Ensure production technologies are at or approaching industry standards.
- Enhance, expand, and maximize the efficiency of the streaming video aspect of our technical ministry.
- Model creative collaboration.
- “A good tech director is able to listen and capture the look and feel the worship leader[s are] trying to achieve. They are okay with implementing something they didn’t design. They build teams that are not only responsive to creative direction, but can also enhance the vision. Successful church tech directors don’t have time for tired, stereotypical divides between creatives and techs. They know how to create something better.” (from a great article at https://www.churchproduction.com/education/the-top-5-traits-of-a-successful-church-tech-director/)
- Provide technical support for worship services and events.**
- Prepare stage and sanctuary platform for rehearsals, worship services, and events.
- Update and maintain production technologies.
- Maintain a reliable system for providing technical support for all worship services and events.
- Oversee video production for worship services to include: capturing, live streaming, editing, and uploading to website/media distributor.
- Coordinate with contract IT vendors to maintain smooth IT integration of technology across the campus.
- Oversee technology budget related to purchase, installation and maintenance of worship technologies.
**to include a major Christmas production with broad regional and online reach
This includes (but is not limited to):
- Audio mixing (FOH, Monitors, and Broadcast) and recording (knowledge of Yamaha Rivage PM3, QL Series & TF Series a plus) (knowledge of DANTE network and RIO configurations a must)
- Lighting production (knowledge of Onyx NX4 console a plus)
- Switching with multiple cameras (IMAG; Panasonic & Marshall HD/SDI)
- Video recording, and live streaming production (such as Lightcast MediaCloud)
- ProPresenter Presentation Software
- Knowledge of professional video post-production practices.
- The successful candidate must be a fully-devoted Christ-follower and fully support the ministry of Snyder Memorial Baptist Church. The individual’s commitment to Christ will be evidenced in his/her personal life, family relationships, and ministry. His/her daily walk with God will be an example to others with which he/she interacts.
- Be a proven team leader and team player.
- Ability to inspire and motivate a team of volunteers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational abilities with excellent attention to details.
- Extensive knowledge of audio systems and large-format digital consoles (such as Yamaha Rivage PM3, QL & TF series, DANTE network and the AVIOM personal monitoring system).
- Extensive knowledge of media in the context of both traditional and contemporary models of worship services in a live and streaming video environment.
- Knowledge of lighting in the context of both traditional and contemporary models of worship services.
- Competent knowledge of in-house IT structure and systems.
- Ideal candidate is highly tech-savvy, able to learn and master new technology quickly and thoroughly and be able to communicate those skills to others.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in related field or professional experience.
Broad hands-on experience with technology in a modern worship production environment [both traditional and contemporary worship models] with good ears and a heart of worship.
Two years of experience working in video production in a Church setting.
Experience in a Director of Worship Technology role
Experience as a video producer in a live environment
Experience and advanced capabilities in Audio Engineering in a church setting.
Experience as a musician themselves.
The Minister of Music & The Minister of Worship