Overview of Position: The Secretary provides general clerical support to the pastor, church council and a variety of church groups. Must have experience using Microsoft Windows and Publisher software, and an aptitude for basic accounting practices in order to use Church Windows, a record-keeping software for churches to track membership, retention, and misc. The Secretary prepares all written communications, including announcements, newsletters and other misc, with input from many sources. Secretary will receive and respond to phone calls and visitors on a daily basis and remain confidential in all dealings with members.
Primary Daily Duties:
- Answers, responds or directs phone calls to Pastor and/or other staff; receives and delivers messages as required.
- Kindly receives office visitors and deliveries, helps and/or directs them to other staff if possible, takes messages.
- Opens and distributes office mail and shared office email - (unless marked personal or confidential for Pastor)
- Provides direction and/or clerical support to varied church groups as needed
- Maintains the Master Calendar of church events in the hallway; reminds group leaders to enter activity onto this Calendar. This Calendar is used for bulletin announcements and misc.
- Meets weekly with pastor and other staff to review upcoming week and services
- Prepares bulletins, announcements, inserts for weekly worship and special weekly services (ie, Lents) This includes, but is not limited to: appropriate liturgy, readings, hymns, and communion procedures with names of weekly worship leaders.
- Compiles appropriate dated announcements of church news and events from Master calendar, pastor and other staff.
- Prints and duplicates (copies) appropriate number of copies for Sunday worship.
- Funerals if there is a funeral, Pastor will work with Secretary in determining bulletin or other insert needs for the service. Turn-around time is usually 2-4 days.
- Enters member contributions into Church Windows software weekly.
- Ensures that Giving Report balances with deposit slips from the Offering Count. Other entry may also be needed in the membership files.
- Routes bills and collects receipts from Council members, as needed.
- Retains custody of the Church Office credit card and forward all original receipts and statements to the Financial Secretary for reconciliation prior to payment.
- Records membership changes, memorial gifts, deaths, baptisms, and marriages into database and record book.
- Prepares monthly newsletter, Lifeline by date set by Pastor/staff.
- Prepares payroll for church staff, using Church Windows software.
- Purchases office supplies and misc. materials.
- Checks inventory of all paper supplies, including ink and paper supplies, Confirmation and Baptism supplies, stamps, envelopes, etc.
Required Ethical standards:
• Secretary must be able to be completely confidential in all aspects of job, including, but not limited to, visitors with personal needs, overheard conversations by pastor on phone or with counselees and any and all contribution matters, etc.
• Must use tact and discretion in all matters.
• Must be honest in all matters – must be completely trust-worthy in this position as it daily works with people and sometimes cash. Because this is such an important part of this position, any evidence to the contrary means immediate expulsion from the positon.
• Ability to relate well with a variety of people
Required Knowledge and Abilities
• Ability to mult-task and stay organized
• Must have great English communication skills in speaking and writing
• Ability to perform responsibilities with accuracy and in a timely matter in order to meet deadlines.
• Knowledge of office procedures such as reception, correspondence, filing, record keeping
• Knowledge of current office technology. Ability to learn quickly copiers and phone system.
• Knowledge of Publisher and Windows software; general Internet (ie, emails, Web site use, etc).
• Ability to learn and use church specific software – Church Windows.
• Ability to be detailed oriented to maintain files
• Ability to ask questions when needed and work with minimal supervision once oriented to workload.
• Desire to learn about the Lutheran faith and the liturgical year which will greatly improve job understanding.
• Ability to work alone, with few, or with many others
• Job will entail using near vision, hands and finger, hearing and speech.
• Ability to work with interruptions and handle deadlines
• Occasional ability to stand, crouch or bend while completing a task.
• High school degree or equivalent
• 1+ years of experience in clerical/office administration
• Experience with Microsoft Office, Internet such as emails, clip art, website use.
• Possess a valid driver’s license.
• Post-secondary business/office admin or education
• Knowledge of Publisher and Church Windows software
• Bookkeeping/accounting experience.
Must be able to pass Drug Screening and BCA background check before acceptance of the position.
All duties performed are according to the St. John Church Office Handbook and are subject to revision. Other duties, in addition to those listed above, are performed as apparent or assigned by Pastor.