Pastor, College and Career ministries
Fellowship Bible Church
Fellowship Bible Church (FBC) is a Christ-centered, Bible-believing, multi-generational church located in Belmont, CA. Our congregation consists of 175-200 person adults (college and up), 50-75 youth/children. We are primarily an Asian American congregation but are slowly growing to become a multicultural church as we actively look to minister to the community around us. Our three-fold vision is to 1) Teach the Bible, 2) Share the Gospel, 3) Encourage Christlikeness in all aspects of our lives (details here: https://www.fbc-belmont.org/vision-story).
We are seeking a full-time pastor to join our pastoral team. This position will have multiple responsibilities. 50% of the time will be focused on leading, teaching and shepherding FBC’s college and young adult ministry, called Quest. 25% of the time will be spent on starting a ministry for young married couples, and 25% of the time will be spent guest teaching at various FBC ministries, including preaching from the pulpit on 8-10 Sundays per year.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Overseeing the Quest (college and young adult) ministry - 50% time
- Engage with, care for and shepherd the members of Quest. Be involved in counseling, prayer and other such activities related to ministry
- Oversee the Biblical teaching and curriculum for Quest. Be the primary teacher for the Quest ministry on Friday nights. Lead Bible study preparations for Quest small group leaders.
- Build a warm and welcoming community, where college and young adult congregants can find true fellowship. Set a culture of honesty and transparency, so that Questors feel safe sharing their struggles and challenges in life.
- Oversee the Quest leadership team (composed of lay volunteers and Quest members) to organize and manage Quest activities and programs
- Identify, recruit and develop potential future leaders within Quest. Create a leadership training structure and develop curriculum that prepares them for serving in this capacity
- Provide opportunities for Questors to use their spiritual gifts to serve each other and members of the broader church
- Continue to develop the vision for Quest as a ministry within FBC. Understand the similarities and differences in needs between college and young adults, and determine the best ways to address them.
- Develop and oversee outreach strategies for Quest
- Develop and oversee retention strategies for college students who grew up at FBC and return home for summer and/or after graduation
Oversee the young married couples ministry - 25% time
- Start a ministry for young married couples. Many of these couples are involved in leading youth or attending other ministries, but do not have one of their own.
- Develop a vision and structure for the group.
- Engage with, care for and shepherd the young married couples. Be involved in counseling, prayer and other such activities related to ministry
- Build a warm and welcoming community, where congregants can find true fellowship. Set a culture of honesty and transparency, where the challenges and struggles of marriage can be discussed and shared
- Identify, recruit and develop potential future leaders within the young married couples.
- Oversee the Biblical teaching and curriculum for this ministry
Teaching at other ministries and preaching from the pulpit - 25% time
- Guest teach at various ministries across FBC, such as CTF (high school ministry) or Step-by-Step (young families)
- Prepare and preach sermons on 8-10 Sundays per year to FBC’s entire adult congregation in ways that are practical and relevant
- The ideal teacher will be:
- An expository preacher who expands people’s knowledge of the Bible
- A dynamic communicator who conveys the truths of scripture in ways that are understandable and relatable
- An inspirational speaker who challenges people to take their faith seriously
- A devoted follower of Christ, who is obedient to the Holy Spirit’s leading
- A person of integrity, befitting the specifications for elders listed in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1. One who diligently seeks to live out their faith in all areas of their lives
- Excellent emotional intelligence, with the sensitivity needed to communicate effectively amidst conflict or during difficult circumstances
- Passion for and commitment to the people they shepherd. A love for the people God has placed under their care and a desire to build relationships with them.
- Servant leader who leads by example. One who willingly recruits, mentors and empowers other leaders to see them succeed.
- A collaborative team player, who can partner effectively with FBC’s staff, elders, deacons, and congregation in pursuit of ministry
- Takes initiative, self-motivated and has a strong work ethic. Willing to “roll up their sleeves” to get work done
- Communicates Biblical truth with love, meaning the courage to take a Biblical stance but with understanding, compassion and sensitivity
- Thoughtful and exercises good judgment. Not afraid nor too proud to ask for wisdom from others in order to make the best decision
- Possesses an open, humble, teachable spirit
THEOLOGICAL BELIEFS AND PRACTICAL ELEMENTS OF FBC:
- Inerrancy and authority of Scripture
- Substitutionary atonement
- Eternal security
- Literal Creation
- Dispensational – premillennial, pretribulational, distinguish Church & Israel
- Cessationist – sign gifts no longer normative in church practice
- Complementarian – men & women equal and distinct
- FBC’s full articles of faith can be found here: https://acc76291-72b0-4b05-b88c-cbabc69277fd.filesusr.com/ugd/faf6cc_d72b8cf389f149328c5904634dfee255.pdf
- Expositional Preaching
EDUCATION AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BS or BA in Biblical studies required, MDiv or equivalent preferred
- 5+ years of relevant ministry experience preferred
- Strong biblical knowledge with a deep understanding of Christian theology
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Able to address sensitive and/or confidential issues with discretion and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, equip, motivate and work with lay leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor, shepherd and inspire those around them
- The flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and the resilience to overcome setbacks
- This position is full-time with the expectation of working on Sundays, nights and weekends as needed
If you like to apply, please submit your resume to [email protected]
Our website: www.fbc-belmont.org